Information on research permits

Which permission do you require?

Many research activities in Svalbard require a permit from the Governor of Svalbard. Additional permits may also be required, depending on the nature of the work. Svalbard Science Forum has a useful guide to research permits:

How to apply for permission from the Governor of Svalbard

Applications to the Governor of Svalbard are made via the Research in Svalbard (RiS) portal. Applications must be submitted by the fixed application deadlines. You can find guidance for planning your research on the website of the Governor:

Do you need further guidance (for SIOS members)?

The SIOS Observing Network Infrastructure Officer can provide guidance on relevant legislation and assistance with writing applications to the Governor for a research permit. If you require such assistance, please get in touch by email or telephone.

Please note: The guidance on permits that may be required is not exhaustive. It remains the responsibility of each research group to ensure they have the correct permissions. While every care is taken to ensure advice given is accurate, SIOS accepts no responsibility for researchers failing to have the correct permits in place.