SIOS offers a one-day training session focusing on scientific data management as part of workshops or other collaborative activities funded by the Svalbard Strategic Grant from Svalbard Science Forum. The aim of this workshop module is to make scientists familiar with the concepts of data management, discuss opportunities and challenges, and develop skills to plan, collect and prepare their data in such a way that they easily can be deposited in data centres and preserved for the future.
The module will address scientific data management with emphasis on the SIOS Data Management System. The programme will be developed in cooperation between the SIOS Data Management and the applicant in order to streamline the content to the needs of the participants.
In more detail, the module will give an introduction to:
- the necessity and benefits of standardised data documentation in relation to the Data, Information, Knowledge and Wisdom chain;
- the pathway of FAIR guiding principles towards Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable data;
- how to document data for data sharing/publication and long-term preservation with emphasis on the reuse of data;
- perspectives of scientific transparency and quality control;
- scientists as data providers and consumers;
- the 5Ps matter (Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance) and how to create a data management plan.
The training session is held by a SIOS data expert with expertise in the scientific topic of the SSG activity. It has a theoretical section, followed by practical exercises based on data provided by the participants. It is a prerequisite that the organiser of the SSG activity is actively contributing to the development of the programme in order to make best use of the training for the participants.
This training module can be applied for together with an application for Svalbard Strategic Grant (SSG).